This is taken from Christopher West’s blog. I subscribe to it and highly recommend it to you.
I think number 13 might be the best.
The whole Church is rejoicing in her latest saint! Here are 13 things Mother Teresa said that took hold of my heart…
- “With me, the sunshine of darkness is bright.”
- “I want to want it as He wants it.”
- “I am not alone – I have his darkness – I have his pain – I have the terrible longing for God.”
- “Jesus, I accept whatever you give, and I give whatever you take.”
- “I need not look for big learned words [when I teach the sisters]. I just open my heart and He talks.”
- “I must have been so very full of self all these years – since God is taking so long to empty me. I hope one day when I am fully empty He comes.”
- “It often happens that those who spend their time giving light to others, remain in darkness themselves.”
- “Three days ago we picked up two people eaten alive with worms … The old man asked for a cigarette and how beautiful of God – in my bag there were two packets of [the] best cigarettes. A rich man gave them to me that morning in the street. God thought of this old man’s longing.”
- “That’s the most beautiful part of God, eh? Being almighty, and yet not forcing himself on anyone.”
- “It is only when we realize our nothingness, our emptiness, that God can fill us with Himself. When we become full of God then we can give God to others…”
- “I try to accept my poverty of being small, helpless, incapable [on my own] of great love.”
- “It is not how much we really ‘have’ to give – but how empty we are.”
- “Give Jesus a big smile – each time your nothingness frightens you.”